Wednesday, December 12, 2012

From Egypt to NY to Moscow to Berlin

I have been doing a lot of traveling in my reading lately.  Here is a rundown of where I have been, let the travelog commence!!

My adventure began in the Joliet Public Library and soon found me traveling to Egpyt with this fantastic espionage thriller.  I picked it up in lieu of another book that I wanted by the same author, but I was not disppointed.  The lost, famed Library of Alexandria is brought to life in this book.  It also throws in some Middle East conflicts, government cover-ups, leaks and assissinations.  Berry has some great facts to support his story, although it is fiction, it is interesting to know that there are some facts spun into this tale.  Some clever writing that will keep you on the edge of your seat.  I loved it!!!




 
Next our journey takes us to New York in a light-hearted book about an adopted girl who sets out to find her birth parents.  She finds that she can finally explain things about herself that were a mystery to her for many years.  I have read many of Emily Griffin's books, and they are always a fun, quick read.

From NY our next stop is Moscow (basically all over Russia and the US-ha, ha).  This is a great read for anyone who is curious about the murder of the entire Romanov family who ruled as Russia's last Tsar in the early 1900s.  There are historical facts in this book, which is part of the reason I love it, showing that it is technically possible for an heir of Nicholas II to still be in existence since two bodies were missing from the mass grave dug to dump the bodies of the royal family after the horrific firing squad killed them.  Wonderful book by Berry, again!!  I think I may become a fan of his.

Finally we land in  Hitler's Berlin.  I have always been fascinated with WWII.  I don't know why, it just seems surreal to me that one man can wreak that much havoc and bring the whole world in on the deal.  This is a non-fiction book (I know, stepping out of my normal realm).  The story follows Ambassador Dodd and his family through their experiences in pre-WWII Berlin when Hitler was just showing his true colors. 

Next up we have some Rick Riordan books to read. . .

1 comment:

  1. Felicia, you've probably read these but I really liked The Help and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I just read The Secret Life of Bees which was a little unsatisfying (yes, I am addicted to happy endings) but pretty well written.

    ReplyDelete