Thursday, March 17, 2011

3 more "non-list" books

I have finished the Hunger Games series and the Traveling Pants series.  The other book I read is not a series book, but was by an author of another couple of books I have read. 


This series was full of teenage girl drama which is not riveting for me.  I was a little disappointed in some of the situations presented in the books--these are supposed to be for teenage girls, who are very impressionable.  However, the ending sends a good message that we need to make time for our friends in order to stay close.

At first I was hesitant to read these books, based on the premise of sending children into an arean to "fight to the death" for political reasons.  However, the characters find strength to throw off an oppressive government and reclaim their freedoms.  How fantastic that I live in a country where we have a constitution which protects us against such oppression.

 This is a great book about realizing our relationships are bigger than ourselves.  Sometimes we don't always get what we want, but usually we get something better as a result of putting others before ourselves.


5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you read the hunger games. Their world may not have been ideal but what I would give to have personal designers dressed in outrageous outfits. I will never look at a rose the same way again. Ewww!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read The Hunger Games and was so appalled by the brutality that I swore I wouldn't continue the series. Then my RS president talked me into reading Catching Fire which I just finished. Still brutal although perhaps not quite so much. Do I really want to follow this to the end?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also started to read the Traveling Pants series because Summer was so into it and was disappointed at how trashy and suggestive they were. Is this what my daughter has to put up with every day at school? Yuk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise,

    The ending is not what I expected, but I had to finish the series--I can't be left hanging without an ending. The brutality theme carries through the 3rd book, but I liked the 3rd because the rebels fought back and regained the Capital.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay. I finally finished this series (Mockingjay). I think it was well-written and a compelling story but I don't think I'd have chosen to read it at all if I'd known how truly awful the story is. I'm glad it's over and I hope I don't dream about it for the rest of my life...

    ReplyDelete